Saturday, November 03, 2007

Dance madness

Well, it was competition night last night... What can I say. I bought the first ticket for the comp a couple of months ago. There was no way I was missing out on that. I've missed the Black and White ball and the Dips and Drops workshop recently because of my health. I was determined that nothing was going to stop me going to the competition, short of being dead.

It wasn't even anything serious. It was a "Dance with a stranger" competition, where you get assigned a random partner and have to dance with them while being judged by the panel. I do Modern Jive, also known as LeRoc or Ciroc. It's excellent excersise, and I have to say, after a couple of weeks off, I ache like mad this morning after dancing Thursday night at class, and then practically full time from eight till eleven last night, then some more inbetween the rounds of the competition.

I was fortunate. I got someone I have danced with before in the first round. I'm OK dancing with him, although some people ain't keen because of his style. I like it though, and it only took a couple of seconds to get back into it. We did the first round, and while the freestyle was going on inbetween that and the quarter finals, one of the judges went past me and paused, saying if I got near the front and smiled, I'd do fine. How much of a confidence booster was that? Anyway, I kinda knew before we got to the next round that I'd got through with my partner. Our number got called, and up we went to join the other 26 couples that made it through out of the 40 that started.

Then they decided that we had to swap partners, so they moved all the girls around. I got C, one of the blokes from the Thursday classes. I don't dance with him often, but I know his style. I thought we did really well, although we lost time on the beat just when a couple of judges were watching. We never got through to the semis. Ah well, there's always next year... It was an excellent night anyway, and a couple of people said that we were robbed in the second round. I'll keep practicing.

So... next plan once I stop aching so much is to start tidying the house. My sister has volunteered (stupidly) to come and help, as has one of my mates who's got to be down this way for something in the evening, so Monday could see things getting a bit busy and a lot tidier. If I'm really lucky, I might get the dining room shifted round more how I want it too.

Himself will be at work while the bulk of the shift around is happening. Lucky him...

Oh and Monday nights is dance class at T, so I'm going to see if sis fancies a go. I really hope she does, because it's a great night out and a good laugh with the girls. One of these days I'll get some pics of me in my dance outfits... I made three skirts for dancing, and I love them... Very flarey. One is black with white inserts, one is embroidered black cotton and the other is red with white polka dots all over it. Love wearing them, especially the polka dots. It's so fifties and I have a neck scarf and purse to match. I think I'm getting sent a pic dad took of me wearing it, so I'll see if I can post it another time.

Ho hum... Only another week to go till my injection then a month till the op. I'm counting, I can tell you. I had to sit out of some of Thursday's class because I decided not to take painkillers before going in case I ended up too dizzy to dance. I ended up too sore instead. Didn't make that mistake last night and made sure I took some with as well, just in case. Hopefully this will see an end to my problems at least, and I've had the offer to go and help decorate my mate Z's old house for it to be sold, so I might take her up on that for a week while I'm all hormonal and menopausal after the injection. Might do me some good, and might keep me out from under himself's feet too. Slapping paint on a wall could be good therapy...

Ah well, got to concentrate on this place in the meantime. De-cluttering is going to take time and strong willpower... That's where sis comes in. She's completely ruthless and it's brilliant. It'll be done in no time.

In the meantime, I have to make a start... First port of call I think will be the kitchen, then the spare room, dining room, living room.... and the list goes on. I can see my wardrobe emptying into cases to go in the loft... It's all good though.

Right... S'pose I best get on... Aches and all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home