Sunday, October 28, 2007

I fell off the planet...

Well, I'm back... Sort of. Currently I'm sat in Wales in my friend A's house, chilling out after another day playing housekeeper, cook and companion. Nearly ended up as referee, but decided that it would be a bad idea to get between A and her daughter's bloke.

I've been spending time here for various reasons, but the main one is playing rottweiler to A's shitty builders, solar heating engineers and anyone else that's trying to take advantage of a disabled pensioner who needs work done on her house. I also get to do a lot of cooking... More about that in a minute. It's absolutely peaceful here. At night you can stand out the back and all you can hear is the sound of the wind, the occasional shuffle of one of the sheep in the field and an owl if it's feeling talkative. Bliss.

And the cooking. Where to start? Well, A's mate D has a farm. He keeps sheep. He also has licence to slaughter the sheep and eat them. They're yummy by the way, especially the really cute one I was petting the other week there. She was absolutely scrummy with a bit of rosemary and red wine. Yeah, I know, I'm horrible, but seriously, where do you think your food comes from? I have loads more recipes I want to try, and D has a few more sheep that will be going at some point in the future. I see a great culinary partnership forming here...

Recently D had some bits of cow, so I was trying some burger recipes. They were yum too by the way. I was even there for the butchering of the meat, helping with the mincing, mixing and pressing of the burgers, packing up some of the huge gret big joints of meat that I just wanted to take home and cook. We got a couple of steaks and a joint for roasting. The steaks were HUGE. I kid you not. One rump filled a reasonable sized frying pan... The roast was lovely. It was a really nice piece of meat, juicy, tender and above all, fresh and not bought out of any supermarket. I watched it being hacked off the carcass. Smashing stuff. I'm going to be back the next time there's meat on offer, recipe book and pen in hand, ideas forming on what to cook next.

Home again soon though, and feeling more relaxed after a grand week away. Even my health problems have been a lot less annoying, although I still can't wait for the day I go into hospital to get them hopefully sorted properly. My mate M is about to have the full hysterectomy after having the ablation a couple of years back, so I know what to expect from the ablation. I'm hoping that I'll be able to come here while I'm in the middle of the injection cycle to keep out from under himself's feet. I know for a fact that there will probably be friction with the pair of us in the house while I'm all menopausal. There's a laugh I could well do without. At least here I can wander off up the field or nip off down the beach to work off any mood swings. Either that or D can put me in the dairy with the mincer and a huge pile of meat. That ain't half theraputic...

Lots to do next week. Really need to do some of my sewing to be honest, plus I could seriously do with having a sort out of stuff at home. Living here for a week, with A has made me realise that I have a lot of stuff and I really need to organise it. She has some lovely bits and pieces all over the place, but it's not cluttered. I might end up puting some stuff away, just so there's less stuff all over the place like it is at the moment. This house is really neat and tidy, and I'm a bit naffed of with living with too much stuff all over the place. Time for an organise.

I did mention before that I might go a bit Stepford, but hadn't actually done it. I think it's about time really...

So much to do and only a few weeks left till the hospital. I think I'd prefer to have a tidy house to shuffle around in after the op really, plus I need to be a bit ruthless with the junk that I've been collecting over the years. I think the garage might be getting a bit of a shock shortly...

Anyway... It's nearly bedtime. Shocking I know, but the fresh air really does me in here. Bed before midnight is definitely on the cards tonight. It helps that I'm almost constantly busy here too with one thing or another, helping move furniture, cooking, chasing after dog, fixing stuff and generally keeping A company. Might be back here soon. It's really nice being in the peace and quiet, although I've been missing out on the dancing. Mind you, I've not really been fit and well enough to dance, since the tablets the doc gave me worked for all of ten days before my little period problem decided to revisit with a vengeance and really go to town on me.

Nuts to it. I'm not going to let it beat me. I've had a couple of days where I've been really down about it, but I can't let it rule my life. Time to move on and just play the waiting game till I can get it all sorted with any luck. If it works, I'm going to rename the surgeon to God...

Now time to go fall off the planet again, at least for a couple of days while I get home and start my organising. Sleep beckons...

2 Comments:

Blogger sims said...

Well, you sound about as happy as I can recall in awhile, so keep breathing that fresh air, going to bed early, and most importantly, roasting giant slabs of meat.

Bliss, indeed.

11:56 pm  
Blogger Me said...

Oooh, you should come over and sample some of my cooking when there's been an outbreak of butchery going on. Your tastebuds will think they've died and gone to heaven...

It was a great week. Can't wait to do it again in a couple of weeks time...

9:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home