Sunday, September 09, 2007

I blinked... What happened?

Well, I blinked and suddenly, as I opened my eyes, the world was upside down.

What happened? Oh, just work calling me in and telling me that my contract that's due to end on the 28th September will not be renewed.

I smiled. I joked. I laughed about it. I got home and started immediately looking for another job. Then the brain kicked in.

"Hold on" it said, "Why are you rushing into another job? Take some time. Chill out. Remember you have an upcoming hospital appointment and possibly 6 weeks off post op to contend with."

I stopped and listened. I thought about it. My brain was talking a great deal of sense, and so I've decided to follow the advice. For two weeks after I leave the company I'm with, I shall go off and see people, do things, get out and visit those that I haven't seen for a while and generally just chill out and take some time to myself. I've not done that for a while. Not really. I've always had work in the back of my mind, or known that I'm along for the ride on trips out, or known that if I go off somewhere it's to problem solve, be there for someone else, or do something for someone else. Trips to S are to buy material to make dresses for other people and rarely for things for myself these days.

Mind you, now being a dance fanatic means I can possibly get in on the niche market of making competition dresses for some of the girls I dance with, and doing other general sewing work along with it. Something I'd enjoy, as I don't have the figure or the talent for the dance competition, slinky lycra look, but one girl at dancing sure as hell does.

I'm itching to create something fabulous, and have an idea that I will explore as my experience gets input. In the meantime, it's basics of sewing with lycra, making leotard dresses and learning beadwork, applique and other interesting techniques that are going to have me cursing till I master them.

This getting freed from a job that was frankly taking up too much of my creative thought processes is a gift. They say never look a gift horse in the mouth, but I will however check for Greek soldiers elsewhere in it's anatomy

2 Comments:

Blogger Angel - Having a Nemesis said...

So your world wasn't turned upside down. It was turned right side up.

3:13 am  
Blogger sims said...

I will however check for Greek soldiers elsewhere in it's anatomy.

You need only check one place, as I understand it.

Good for you, Mum. Take your time and enjoy it. Your op will go better if you are nice and relaxed.

4:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home