Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Great Escape...

Hum it with me... Dum dum... dum dada dum dum...

What a day. Hamsters. Who'd have them? Me... Institutionalise me immediately.

Bert did his impression of The Great Escape last night and I was frantically ripping my bedsit to bits trying to find the little bleeder today. Four hours of trying to find him later, I took some stuff that had been packed, unpacked, checked, packed, unpacked, re-checked and repacked and declared probably hamster-free over to the flat. Everything was unpacked and triple-checked for an escapee at the flat, then it was back to the bedsit feeling downright miserable.

I'd lost my wee baby Bert. I felt like crying. I did so, copiously. Bert was my companion while I was home alone, regulating my sanity and giving me something to cling to when the deep pits of unhappiness threatened to swallow me up into the void.

I went shopping for some milk to try and keep my mind occupied. I got to the shop, tried to work out what I wanted to eat, bought a couple of tins of stuff and forgot to get milk... When I got back, Bear was busy looking for where Bert might have escaped to. He spotted a hole. He investigated. He ended up cutting a hole in the floor... At which point, a small, dust-encrusted, whiskery face appeared from a gap in the bricks about 18 inches under the floor! My Bert was fine, filthy, hungry and found! He was removed from his escape tunnel looking very relieved to see me, and settled happily in my hand, snuggling into me and nuzzling my fingers. After his "Welcome Back" cuddles, he was allowed a bite to eat, and then it was bathtime for the filthy wee sod.

Bert is now back in his silken sheets, all clean, fed, watered and happy to be home again. Tomorrow I have to find him a bigger tank or cage, something that he will have more dificulty breaking out of...

1 Comments:

Blogger Wild Cat said...

Welcome home Bert!

9:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home