Friday, July 07, 2006

From Bad To Worse...

Well, what a week it's been. First I find out that I could have been fit and well enough to work months ago, and now it's time to go away, it's not going well at all.

I've been trying to wash and pack everything we will need for a fortnight. Note that I am doing the packing, so if he complains that he doesn't have something, I'm just going to tell him he should have packed his own stuff. Anyway, if he doesn't have enough clothes with all that I've packed, I will probably hit him. We didn't actually know when we were supposed to be going, because it all depended on when we could get the vehicles transported down. They go down on a low loader, because at 8 miles per gallon, one working fuel tank and dodgy brakes, it's easier and cheaper, not to mention safer to get a haulage company to do it.

So... the plan was to go down possibly tonight after the vehicles got picked up because they might have been delivered at the crack of dawn in the morning. The company then said delivery Monday, so we planned on going tomorrow or Sunday, depending on how we felt. The company then phoned to say that the vehicles wouldn't be getting picked up till Monday morning because of some problem with their lorry. This means himself has to be here Monday to load the Pig (that's the actual name of the vehicle, honest, you can look it up under "Humber Pig") and the trailer on the low-loader and then go down faster than it, so he can park the car up and go back to get it off the lorry unless it will bring the thing down into our field.

I should explain at this point that the site is huge. Here's a picture.

The main entrance is bottom middle, off the pic, and we are camped top right... Our camp (marked) consists of a 20 foot by 30 foot dining shelter/kitchen and a couple of 14 foot ridge tents, so you get an idea of scale. In that pic, there is also an articulated lorry parked behind our tents, but it's a bit too small to see properly. Between Americas Field, Big Monktons and the Reenactors field, there's up to three and a half to four thousand vehicles from all over the world.

Anyway... On with the story...

So, we are going to have to sort out when we go down now, and that has been further complicated. Himself went out earlier for something and was back in fifve minutes. "Do you want the bad news?" he asked... I didn't want to, but I did anyway. "The radiator on the car has blown up."

Knickers.

He had to search round the garages in town to see if there was one could get a new radiator overnighted in. Yes. One could. "How long would it take for you to fit it?" he asked. "Tuesday or Wednesday" said the girl. He's picking it up at half eight tomorrow morning and fitting it himself. Currently he is out under the car trying to take out the old one. I would help him with it, but he doesn't like me helping. He gets all stressy if I even stand in the wrong place, so consequently I am back here despite offering my services.

Ah well, I don't tknow when we are going now, but I'm damn sure we are going. Let's hope this is not an omen of what's to come over the next fortnight...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home