Friday, January 12, 2007

It's a conspiracy...

There has to be a conspiracy out there... Things seriously couldn't be this pants unless there was one.

We have my sister's car while she's out the country. It won't start because himself thinks the alternator is dead. It's also got something wrong with the ABS system. Some cog somewhere needing fixed. My dad said the alternator was whining when they were down, so that's probably going to need replaced... Oh the joys.

Anyway, I still don't drive, so the car isn't a huge issue. I cycle everywhere... Work, the shops, train stations. All done on the bike. Well, I went to work today on my bike. Got in, chained it to the railings where I always chain it and went in to work. At lunchtime, one of the other guys in the office came up to me with the security guard and asked if my bike was the one on the end. It wasn't when I parked it, so I said no, but looked out the window anyway. The other one had gone. Mine was the one on the end.

Eeep...

Well, what happened was this... One part of the business uses vans. Someone was parking one of these vans and reversed it into the space a bit far. Guess what's behind the space...? You guessed it... The railing I chain my bike to...

My bike was technically fine, although unusable. The frame was OK and the wheels weren't buckled or anything. One of the pedals was nearly pushed into the wheel, but not quite, so the shaft is scrap, the saddle is squint, the bearing and crank shaft is knackered, the derailier is squished and the main gearing cog is bent out of shape. I didn't find out about the derailier and the gears till I went to pick it up... It's stuck in the shop till tomorrow and I had to walk home tonight. The one good point was that my bike got it's own back by making a hole in the van where the pedal punctured the bodywork. Questions will be asked of the driver, because they also bent the railings... Ooops...

On the good side of things, we are out tomorrow night at a Christmas Dinner for the group we were away with in July. I'm looking forward to it and it should be a good laugh as well as getting to see people we haven't seen for quite some time. Himself is doing well on the no-sugar diet, and doesn't appear to be suffering any major withdrawals... yet... Finally, on the good side of things, my alarm clock is not going to ring at 07:30 in the morning... although the telephone repair man might be leaning on the doorbell by 8...

How much money would you wager right now that he's going to suck air through his teeth, tut a bit, shake his head and say something along the lines of "Ooooh, that's not good. That's going to take a lot more than I've got to fix. I'll book you in for someone to come out with the right tools in a month or so..."?

I think I'd like to go to bed for a few months till the run of bad luck goes somewhere else...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home